Uruguayan government fined its selection due to Covid-19 outbreak

Luis Suárez directs a new tie to the charrúa / AFP
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

For "non-compliance" with the health protocol, the Uruguayan soccer team was reprimanded by the authorities of their country, after adding the case of Coronavirus 16 during the South American qualifiers.

This Friday, the Ministry of Public Health fined the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) for breach of protocol for 15.000 dollars. In addition to citing her to render explanations in this regard.

Atlético de Madrid was one of the clubs that suffered this event, as it will not have the presence of Luis Suárez and Lucas Torreira for its commitment to FC Barcelona, ​​so the club's leadership threw darts against the celestial federation.

Diego Godín is the last one entered, so far, on the list due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Cagliari confirmed the contagion of the defender after his return to the club, through an official statement.

"The footballer, who returned yesterday from his commitments with the Uruguayan team, is isolated," he added in a statement.

In addition to Godín, Suárez and Torreira, the players affected so far Darwin Núñez (Benfica), Diego Rossi and Brian Rodríguez (Los Angeles FC), Rodrigo Muñoz (Cerro Porteño from Paraguay), Alexis Rolin (Rentistas from Uruguay), Gabriel Neves (National of Uruguay) and Matías Viña (Palmeiras). 

Likewise, there are six members of the delegation infected, including the doctor Alberto Pan and the press officer Matías Faral.

Breach of rules

Daniel Salinas, Minister of Public Health, announced on Thursday night that the AUF was cited for its "responsibility in complying with the protocol approved in time." 

A photo released on social networks was the argument that Salinas showed, for which he pointed to the relaxation of prevention measures.

“There was some oversight, as seen in some photos that circulated (…) Some little fire, all together. You can see that there was so much coexistence and brotherhood that the rules were not followed, "said the minister.

Enrique Cerezo, Atlético president, also denounced the laxity of the measures. “They have not had control”, he declared on Thursday in an interview with Cadena Ser. In Spain “the players do not shower in the changing rooms. We check them before and after the game and training. The losers are the clubs ”, he added.

 The League could file a formal complaint with FIFA for the relaxation existing in the national federations regarding the measures to avoid contagion.

"We are not invulnerable"

Celso Otero, technical assistant of the national team, upset by the accusations, assured that the delegation was careful.

“It grinds me to find guilt. We have been careful but we are not invulnerable, "he said in radio statements collected by Montevideo Portal.

After Celeste's commitments to Colombia in Barranquilla on Friday the 13th, and against Brazil in Montevideo on Tuesday the 17th, the outbreak of Covid infections emerged.

The first case was known on Saturday night, the lateral Viña. His club, Palmeira of Brazil, also suffered a significant contagion of 17 confirmed cases.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

Sponsored links